Title: Who Holds the Record for Most-Expensive Painting Sold a Female Artist?
The world of art has witnessed numerous groundbreaking achievements and record-breaking sales over the years. While the male-dominated art industry has often taken center stage, female artists have consistently challenged norms and shattered barriers. In recent times, a female artist has made history setting a new benchmark for the most expensive painting sold. In this article, we will explore the remarkable artist who holds this esteemed record and delve into the details of the painting that captivated collectors worldwide.
The Record-Breaking Artist:
Georgia O’Keeffe, an American modernist artist, holds the record for the most expensive painting sold a female artist. Known for her captivating and innovative depictions of landscapes and flowers, O’Keeffe’s artwork has left an indelible mark on the art world. Her iconic painting, “Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1,” achieved an astounding price at an auction, cementing her position in history.
“Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1”:
“Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1” is a masterpiece created O’Keeffe in 1932. The oil-on-canvas painting measures an impressive 48 40 inches and portrays a close-up view of a white flower. The delicate and intricate details of the bloom, combined with O’Keeffe’s signature use of vibrant colors, make this piece truly mesmerizing.
The Record-Breaking Sale:
In 2014, “Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1” was sold at an auction for an astonishing $44.4 million, setting a new record for the most expensive painting a female artist ever sold. The sale took place at Sothe’s auction house in New York City, attracting global attention and admiration for O’Keeffe’s work.
Questions and Answers:
1. Which artist holds the record for the most expensive painting sold a female artist?
– Georgia O’Keeffe.
2. What is the name of the painting that set the record?
– “Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1.”
3. When was the painting created?
– The painting was created in 1932.
4. What is the size of the painting?
– The painting measures 48 40 inches.
5. What is the medium used in the painting?
– The painting is an oil-on-canvas artwork.
6. What is the subject of the painting?
– The painting depicts a close-up view of a white flower.
7. How much did “Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1” sell for?
– The painting was sold for $44.4 million.
8. When did the record-breaking sale take place?
– The sale occurred in 2014.
9. Where was the auction held?
– The auction took place at Sothe’s auction house in New York City.
10. How did the sale impact the art world?
– The sale brought attention to the talent and value of female artists, highlighting their contributions to the art market.
11. Did Georgia O’Keeffe hold any previous records?
– No, “Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1” set the record as O’Keeffe’s most expensive painting sold.
12. Are there any other notable female artists who have achieved high sales?
– Yes, artists like Joan Mitchell, Helen Frankenthaler, and Yayoi Kusama have also achieved significant sales and recognition in the art world.
13. Has the record for the most expensive painting sold a female artist been broken since then?
– As of now, the record set Georgia O’Keeffe remains unbroken.
The record-breaking sale of “Jimson Weed/White Flower No. 1” Georgia O’Keeffe marked a pivotal moment in the art world. It showcased the immense talent and value of female artists, encouraging a more inclusive approach to appreciating and recognizing their contributions. As we celebrate the achievements of artists like O’Keeffe, we must continue to support and uplift women in the art industry, ensuring their voices are heard and their art is celebrated.