What Does Second Skin Do for Tattoos?
Tattoos have become increasingly popular over the years, with individuals using them as a form of self-expression and art. However, the process of getting a tattoo can often lead to discomfort and irritation during the healing stage. This is where second skin comes into play. Second skin is a transparent, adhesive film that acts as a protective barrier for fresh tattoos. In this article, we will explore the benefits of using second skin for tattoos, along with five interesting facts about this innovative product.
Second skin, also known as tattoo healing film or tattoo aftercare film, is a thin, flexible film made from medical-grade material. It is designed to mimic the natural healing process of the skin, providing an optimal environment for tattoo healing. Here are some of the benefits that second skin offers for tattoos:
1. Protection: Second skin creates a barrier between the tattoo and external elements, such as dirt, bacteria, and clothing. This reduces the risk of infection and protects the tattoo from accidental rubbing or scratching.
2. Moisture Lock: Second skin helps to lock in the moisture that is essential for the healing process. By keeping the tattoo hydrated, it prevents scabs from forming and minimizes the risk of scarring.
3. Reduced Healing Time: Due to its moisture-locking properties, second skin accelerates the healing process of tattoos. It provides a controlled environment that promotes faster cell regeneration, resulting in quicker healing and reduced pain.
4. Minimized Discomfort: Applying second skin to a fresh tattoo creates a soothing and cooling effect, alleviating discomfort and itching. It acts as a protective layer that reduces the friction between the tattoo and clothing, providing relief during the healing process.
5. Enhanced Color Retention: Second skin helps to optimize color retention in tattoos preventing the formation of scabs. Scabs can cause color loss during the healing process, and second skin minimizes their occurrence, ensuring that the tattoo retains its vibrancy.
Now, let’s dive into some interesting facts about second skin:
1. Origin: Second skin was first developed scientists and medical professionals to aid in the healing of wounds and burns. Its application in the tattoo industry came later as artists and enthusiasts recognized its potential benefits for tattoo aftercare.
2. Breathable Material: Despite its ability to create a protective barrier, second skin is made from breathable material that allows oxygen to pass through. This is crucial for the healing process, as oxygen promotes cell regeneration.
3. Easy Application: Second skin is incredibly easy to apply. It comes in pre-cut sheets or rolls, which can be easily trimmed to fit the size and shape of the tattoo. Once applied, it adheres to the skin seamlessly, providing continuous protection.
4. Shower-Friendly: Second skin is water-resistant, allowing individuals to shower without worrying about damaging their fresh tattoos. It remains intact even when exposed to water, which is a significant advantage during the healing period.
5. Longevity: Second skin can be worn for several days, depending on the manufacturer’s instructions and individual healing progress. This saves individuals from the hassle of applying traditional ointments and constantly rewrapping their tattoos.
Now, let’s address some common questions individuals may have about second skin:
1. Can I apply second skin immediately after getting a tattoo?
Yes, second skin can be applied as soon as the tattoo artist has finished the tattoo and cleaned the area.
2. How long should I keep second skin on my tattoo?
It is recommended to keep second skin on for 3-5 days, but always follow the instructions provided the manufacturer.
3. Can I exercise while wearing second skin?
While exercising is generally not recommended during the initial healing stage, if you choose to do so, make sure to clean and dry the tattoo afterward to prevent sweat from accumulating under the film.
4. Can I swim with second skin on?
Yes, second skin is water-resistant, so swimming is generally safe. However, it is advisable to avoid prolonged exposure to water and always pat dry the tattoo afterward.
5. Will second skin cause my tattoo to fade?
No, second skin actually helps to retain the vibrancy of your tattoo preventing scabs from forming. Scabs can cause color loss during the healing process.
6. Can I apply moisturizer under second skin?
No, second skin is designed to lock in the moisture naturally produced the tattoo. Applying additional moisturizer may interfere with the healing process.
7. How can I remove second skin?
To remove second skin, gently peel it off from one corner. If it feels stuck, use a small amount of warm water to help loosen the adhesive.
8. Can I reapply second skin after removing it?
No, it is not recommended to reapply second skin once it has been removed. This is because the adhesive may lose its effectiveness and could potentially introduce bacteria to the tattoo.
9. Is second skin suitable for all skin types?
Second skin is generally safe for all skin types. However, individuals with sensitive skin may want to perform a patch test before applying it to the entire tattoo.
10. Can I apply second skin on an infected tattoo?
No, second skin should not be applied to infected tattoos. It is essential to consult a medical professional for appropriate treatment.
11. Can second skin be used on other wounds or burns?
Yes, second skin can be used to aid in the healing of other wounds or burns as well. However, consult a healthcare professional for severe injuries.
12. Can I wear clothing over the second skin?
Yes, you can wear clothing over the second skin without worrying about it rubbing against the tattoo. However, avoid tight or restrictive clothing that may cause irritation.
13. Will second skin leave a residue on my tattoo?
No, second skin is designed to adhere to the skin without leaving any residue. However, it is essential to follow the instructions for removal to prevent any potential issues.
In conclusion, second skin provides numerous benefits for the healing process of tattoos. It offers protection, moisture lock, accelerated healing, reduced discomfort, and enhanced color retention. With its ease of application and versatility, second skin has become a popular choice among tattoo enthusiasts.