How to Write Save the Date Envelopes
Save the date cards are an essential part of any wedding invitation process. They inform guests about the upcoming wedding and allow them to mark their calendars well in advance. However, it is equally important to pay attention to the details of the save the date envelopes. Here are some tips to help you write save the date envelopes that are clear, professional, and will ensure your guests don’t miss your special day.
1. Use clear and legible handwriting: When addressing the envelopes, make sure your handwriting is neat and easy to read. If you’re not confident in your penmanship, consider using a calligraphy pen or hiring a professional calligrapher.
2. Include both names: Address the envelope to both the recipient and their guest, if applicable. This ensures that both parties are invited and avoids any confusion.
3. Include return address: Always include your return address on the envelopes. This allows guests to easily respond to your save the date and ensures that any returned mail can be correctly delivered.
4. Use proper titles: Address the envelope with the appropriate titles, such as Mr., Mrs., or Dr. This adds a touch of formality and respect to your invitations.
5. Double-check spelling: Before sending out the save the date envelopes, double-check all the names and addresses for accuracy. Misspelled names or incorrect addresses can lead to undelivered mail.
6. Consider hand-canceling: Hand-canceling involves taking your envelopes to the post office and asking them to stamp them manually rather than running them through a machine. This helps prevent any damage to the envelopes and ensures they arrive in pristine condition.
7. Use decorative stamps: Adding a special stamp to your save the date envelopes can make them more visually appealing and stand out in the mailbox. Consider using stamps that match your wedding theme or colors.
8. Personalize with stickers or wax seals: To add a personal touch, consider using stickers or wax seals with your initials or a custom design. This adds an extra level of elegance to your save the date envelopes.
9. Opt for calligraphy or printed labels: If you prefer a more polished look, consider using calligraphy or printed address labels. This ensures a consistent and professional appearance for all your save the date envelopes.
10. Use a clear, legible font: If you decide to print your addresses, choose a font that is easy to read. Avoid using overly decorative fonts that may make it difficult for the postal service to scan the addresses.
11. Choose appropriate envelope sizes: Ensure that your save the date cards fit comfortably inside the envelopes. Test out different sizes before making a final decision to avoid any issues with the cards not fitting properly.
12. Avoid abbreviations: When writing out the addresses, avoid using abbreviations. Write out the full names of the cities, states, and street names for a cleaner and more professional appearance.
13. Include postage: Don’t forget to include the appropriate postage on your save the date envelopes. Check with your local post office to determine the correct amount needed based on the weight and size of your envelopes.
Common Questions about Save the Date Envelopes:
1. Can I use printed labels for save the date envelopes?
Yes, you can use printed labels for a clean and consistent look. Just ensure the font is clear and legible.
2. Can I hand-cancel my save the date envelopes?
Yes, hand-canceling is a good idea to prevent damage to the envelopes.
3. Should I include both names on the envelope?
Yes, address the envelope to both the recipient and their guest.
4. Can I use decorative stamps on the envelopes?
Yes, decorative stamps can add a special touch to your save the date envelopes.
5. Should I include my return address?
Yes, include your return address so guests can easily respond, and any returned mail can be delivered correctly.
6. Can I use calligraphy for the addresses?
Yes, calligraphy adds an elegant and personalized touch to your save the date envelopes.
7. Should I use abbreviations in the addresses?
Avoid using abbreviations and write out the full names of cities, states, and street names.
8. Can I use wax seals to seal the envelopes?
Yes, wax seals can add an extra level of elegance to your save the date envelopes.
9. How can I ensure my save the date envelopes fit the cards?
Test different envelope sizes before making a final decision to ensure the cards fit comfortably.
10. Can I use stickers to personalize the envelopes?
Yes, stickers can add a personal touch to your save the date envelopes.
11. Should I include postage on the envelopes?
Yes, don’t forget to include the appropriate postage based on the weight and size of your envelopes.
12. Should I hire a calligrapher for the addresses?
If you’re not confident in your handwriting, hiring a calligrapher can ensure a professional and polished appearance.
13. Can I use a clear, legible font for printed addresses?
Yes, choose a font that is easy to read and avoid overly decorative ones.