How to Date a Cover Letter: A Complete Guide
A well-written cover letter is an essential part of any job application. It allows you to introduce yourself, highlight your relevant skills and experiences, and show your enthusiasm for the position. But did you know that dating your cover letter is just as important as its content? The date on a cover letter helps employers track when applications were received, and it shows that you are up to date with current business practices. In this article, we will guide you on how to date a cover letter effectively.
Why is dating a cover letter important?
Dating a cover letter is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps employers keep track of when applications were received, allowing them to prioritize and organize their hiring process. Secondly, it shows that you have taken the time to ensure your application is up to date and demonstrates your professionalism. Lastly, it prevents any confusion that may arise if your application is received after a deadline or if there are multiple versions of your cover letter floating around.
How to date a cover letter:
1. Place the date at the top: The date should be placed at the top right-hand corner of your cover letter, just below your contact information.
2. Use the full date format: Write the date in a formal format, including the month, day, and year. For example, “June 15, 2023.”
3. Avoid abbreviations: Do not use abbreviations for the month or the year. Write out the full month and use four digits for the year.
4. Be consistent with formatting: Ensure that the format of the date is consistent with the rest of your cover letter. If you are using a specific font or style, apply it to the date as well.
5. Use the correct date: Always use the current date when writing a cover letter. It shows that you are actively seeking opportunities and are up to date with your job search.
Now that you know how to date a cover letter, let’s address some common questions related to this topic:
1. Should I include the date on an emailed cover letter?
Yes, it is important to include the date on an emailed cover letter as well. Simply place it at the top, below your contact information.
2. Can I use a future date on my cover letter?
No, you should always use the current date on your cover letter. Using a future date may confuse employers and give the impression that you are not organized.
3. Should I update the date if I submit the same cover letter to multiple companies?
Yes, it is recommended to update the date on your cover letter if you are submitting the same version to multiple companies. It shows that you are actively applying and tailoring your application to each specific opportunity.
4. What if I don’t know the exact date of submission?
If you are unsure of the exact date, use the date you are writing the cover letter as a reference. It is better to have an approximate date than leaving it blank.
5. Can I use a different date format?
While it is important to follow a formal date format, you can adjust the placement and style to fit your cover letter’s overall design. Just make sure it is clear and easy to read.
6. Should I change the date if I update my cover letter?
Yes, if you make any updates or revisions to your cover letter, you should change the date to reflect the most recent version.
7. Is it acceptable to use a cover letter template with a pre-dated date?
No, it is not acceptable to use a pre-dated date on your cover letter. Always update the date to the current day.
8. What if I am submitting a physical copy of my cover letter?
If you are submitting a physical copy of your cover letter, ensure that the date is clearly written and legible. Use a pen or a printer to make it stand out.
9. Should I include the date on a faxed cover letter?
Yes, include the date on a faxed cover letter as well. It helps the recipient keep track of when the fax was received.
10. Can I use a different language for the date?
If you are applying for a position in a non-English speaking country, it is acceptable to use the local language for the date. However, if you are applying in an English-speaking country, stick to English.
11. Should I include the time of submission?
In most cases, it is not necessary to include the time of submission on your cover letter. The date is sufficient for tracking purposes.
12. Is it acceptable to use a digital signature instead of handwritten date?
Yes, it is acceptable to use a digital signature instead of a handwritten date. Just make sure it is clear and professional-looking.
13. What if I am submitting a cover letter for an internship or volunteer position?
Even for internships or volunteer positions, it is important to date your cover letter. It shows that you take the application process seriously and are committed to the opportunity.
In conclusion, dating a cover letter is a simple yet crucial step in the job application process. By following the guidelines provided in this article, you can ensure that your application appears professional and up to date. Take the time to date your cover letter correctly, and you will stand out among other applicants. Good luck with your job search!