How to Change Date Modified on Mac: A Step--Step Guide
The date modified attribute on files and folders in macOS is used to indicate the last time the file was modified or edited. However, there may be situations where you need to change the date modified, such as when organizing files or for specific documentation purposes. In this article, we will guide you through the process of changing the date modified on a Mac. Additionally, we will also provide you with five interesting facts about the Mac operating system.
Changing the Date Modified on Mac:
1. Select the file or folder you want to modify.
2. Right-click on the file or folder and choose “Get Info” from the drop-down menu. Alternatively, you can also press the Command + I keys on your keyboard.
3. In the information window that appears, locate the “General” section.
4. Under the “General” section, you will find the “Date Modified” attribute along with its current value.
5. Click on the date value, and a calendar will appear.
6. Choose the desired date and time you want to set as the new modified date.
7. Once you have selected the new date and time, click on the “OK” button to apply the changes.
8. You have successfully changed the date modified on your Mac.
Interesting Facts about Mac:
1. Macs were the first personal computers to use a graphical user interface (GUI), revolutionizing the way users interacted with computers.
2. The first Macintosh, released in 1984, had a 9-inch black-and-white screen and a price tag of $2,495.
3. Mac OS X, the predecessor of macOS, was initially released in 2001 and was based on the Unix operating system.
4. The Mac App Store was introduced in 2011, providing a centralized platform for users to download and manage their applications.
5. Macs are known for their security features, with macOS being less susceptible to malware compared to other operating systems.
Common Questions about Changing Date Modified on Mac:
1. Can I change the date modified for multiple files at once?
No, the built-in macOS functionality only allows you to change the date modified for individual files or folders.
2. Can I change the date modified to a future date?
No, macOS does not allow you to set the date modified to a future date. The modified date can only be set to past or current dates.
3. Will changing the date modified affect the file’s contents?
No, changing the date modified does not affect the actual file’s contents. It only modifies the metadata associated with the file.
4. Can I change the date modified for system files?
System files are protected macOS, and changing their date modified can cause instability or issues with the operating system. It is not recommended to modify system files.
5. Is there a way to change the date modified using Terminal commands?
Yes, you can use the “touch” command in Terminal to change the date modified. However, this method requires knowledge of Terminal commands and should be used with caution.
6. Will changing the date modified affect the file’s original creation date?
No, changing the date modified does not alter the original creation date of the file. It only modifies the date and time when the file was last modified.
7. Can I change the date modified on external storage devices?
Yes, you can change the date modified for files and folders stored on external drives, such as USB flash drives or external hard drives.
8. Can a third-party application help me change the date modified?
Yes, there are third-party applications available that offer more advanced features for modifying file attributes, including date modified.
9. Will changing the date modified affect how the file is sorted in Finder?
Yes, changing the date modified will affect how the file is sorted in Finder. The file will be sorted based on the new modified date.
10. Can I change the date modified for files on iCloud Drive?
Yes, you can change the date modified for files stored on iCloud Drive using the same method mentioned earlier.
11. Can I revert the date modified back to the original value?
Yes, following the same steps, you can revert the date modified attribute back to its original value.
12. Is there any way to automate the process of changing the date modified for multiple files?
Yes, you can use AppleScript or Automator to automate the process of changing the date modified for multiple files simultaneously.
13. Will changing the date modified affect the file’s backup or version history?
No, changing the date modified will not affect the file’s backup or version history. Backup utilities and version control systems typically use other attributes to manage file versions.
By following the steps provided in this article, you can easily change the date modified on your Mac. Remember to exercise caution while modifying file attributes and avoid making changes to system files. Macs continue to be a popular choice for users, offering a unique and secure computing experience.